Friday, January 23, 2009

Americanized....

I watched a really good show on the Catholic channel here today. It was a program talking about Africa, places like Kenya who are rapidly becoming Americanized. This subject has been heavy on my heart for awhile now. Even when I was in Uganda, my African friends would always say Oh I'd love to go to America. Hearing those words lays heavy on my heart, as the people in Africa are filled with so much joy, with having little and how us Americans are so bogged down with the busyness of life, and so caught up with all the materialism around us. Really we are greedy selfish people as a whole. And it just breaks my heart that America has been put on a peddle stool. Yes we have a great working government....hmmmm well compared to Africa nations we do, and yes we have things, but yet there is a reason why places like Kenya are sending Missionaries to America. In the past year I have met a handful of Missionaries sent to us, from Africa. It's inspiring yet sad to listen to there stories of how they got here. An interesting point in the TV show program, was a list of organizations in Kenya and other places like Malawi and Nigeria that are focusing on keeping these countries from becoming to Americanized. As I sit here in my nice home, it really makes me think of my problems with depression, and how most of America deals with this disease, how we have mothers pleading insanity for drowning her children in a bathtub. Heavy thoughts, thoughts that make sense of why I was so joyous in Uganda, and how I long to be back in Africa. How I feel so close to the Lord there in the midst of a poverished land. Oh how I pray that my friends in Africa won't gain the mentality of becoming Americanized. How sad it would be to see there joyous hearts turned into selfish greedy hearts.

Keep your lives free from the love of money (america) and be content with what you have, because God has said; "Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you"

Heb. 13:5, with my added insert :)

1 comment:

Heather Davison said...

AWESOME!!!!! i agree whole heartedly. obviously I haven't been to Africa to know first hand their simple joy but what you speak of about our American culture resinates with me. I will pray for the people of Africa as they covet the things of America. It's a be careful what you wish for, you might just get it kinda thing.